Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Fashion Round-up: Spring 2015 Campains featuring Joan Didion for Celine and Kanye West and Kim Kardashian for Balmain

Bonjour mes amis, it's been too long!


Most of the spring 2015 campaigns have been released with the stand-outs being from Celine and Balmain.

Celine used literary hero Joan Didion sporting too-cool-for-school shades shot by Juergen Teller.


Joan Didion CĂ©line Campaign 

Grade: B- 
I love Joan Didion. I have read several of her books, but honestly, I'd rather her come out with another book than see her in a fashion ad, even if it is Celine. Instagram and Twitter loved it, and I had to endure post after post of Didion quotes on my Instagram and Twitter feeds.

Eh, as someone who loves Celine, I'm not buying it. To me, it says "Oh look how intellectual and serious we are. WE READ BOOKS! With just words. No pictures! And We wear dark glasses because the glaring imperfections of the boorish hoard is just too much for our eyes!"

In other words, it's pretentious and pandering. But you know, whatevs.

Next up we have Balmain for men staring Kimye shot by Mario Sorrenti. The domination of this fashion power couple continues with the Balmain for Men campaign. 


Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Balmain Menswear 
Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Balmain Menswear 
Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Balmain Menswear
Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Balmain Menswear

Grade: A
I know, I know. How could I give Joan Didion a B- and Kimye and A?! Well, I too at first smirked at the ad. " Ha! Kimye in a haute fashunn ad!?" But the more I looked at it, the more I got it. I went from instantly dismissive to slow clapping in a matter of minutes.

Look, this is fashion. The purpose it to sell clothes. From an advertising perspective, this is a winner. It features two of the most talked about current pop culture figures and gets the story across effectively. It's not the most artsy or autre ad out there and it doesn't need to be. Kanye is in his underground Batman-esque layer writing rhymes, producing beats, and slaying hos everywhere in Balmain while being attended by his high fashion stepford THOT. Glorious. You can not tell me that hip, young, fashion conscious men looking at this ad do not look at these pictures with admiration.It's just cool in that way. And cool=$$$

I also like what Kanye is wearing in these pics, especially the black and white pull-over (don't judge me!) Maybe the only exception to that is the blazer, I've seen it too many times in Kanye pap pictures and I could go a while, or forever, without seeing anymore Kanye moob cleavage. 

Lastly, we cannot ignore fashions continued love affair with pop culture. From Miley to Kim, fashion is becoming ever more entwined, for better or worse, with pop culture.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment